Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Living Proof Full Thickening Cream review


Per request from a reader (Hi,
J! ☺), I'm writing a review about this product.



Flat, lifeless hair results from each strand being so smooth and fine that it lays quite literally flat, one on top of the other. Full Thickening Cream is a lightweight formula that features Poly Beta Amino Ester-1, a new technology invented by our scientists that creates a micro-pattern of thickening points on each strand. Full creates beautiful, natural fullness and touchable body that lasts throughout the day. Because it's a completely flexible technology, your hair won't collapse or become stiff and crunchy. Great for colored hair, too.
Source

This product comes in 2 sizes, 3.4 oz ($24) and 1.8 oz ($14). I bought the small one (blog)

Price/Packaging?
Expensive. The 1.7 oz bottle is a travel-size. It's only around 3 inches tall. This bottle doesn't have the instruction of how to use the product on the back part of the bottle. Only the bigger one has the instruction.

Application?
According to the Living Proof site:
  • short hair = dime-sized
  • long hair = nickle-sized
Note, I always wash my hair at night, before I go to bed.

First time, I tried nickle-sized, as instructed. I dispensed it onto my palm, rubbed my hands together, and then applied it to the roots, working down the hair shaft to the hands. Then, I blow-dried my hair upside down with a big round brush. In the beginning, hair felt soft and bouncy, and hair looked fuller, just slightly. There's no "Whoa! My hair is so full and nice!!" The next day, hair looked flat, like I didn't put any volumizing product at all.
So I thought, maybe I didn't apply enough.

Second try, I applied about a little bit over quarter-sized. I guess it's a little bit too much. It took longer to blow dry. Fullness? It's better (kinda like the Living Proof model's hair) and lasted much longer. Hair didn't stiff or straw-like. But, hair didn't feel as soft as the first attempt and scalp felt a tad greasy.

Conclusion?

It is not worth the money, since the result is nothing special/phenomenal.
The price is pretty steep, $14 for a 3-inch tall bottle. I wash my hair 3 times/week. I can finish that bottle within 1 to 1.5 months.

Maybe this product doesn't work for me because my hair is too long and heavy.
Maybe this product works better on people with shorter and layered hair style.


If you have the money to splurge, go try this product out. Maybe you'll have better luck than me.

If not, I recommend you to try
John Frieda Luxurious Volume Thickening Mousse. It costs around $5-6. It works really well. It gives noticeably and long lasting fullness. Don't apply too much, or your hair will feel stringy and straw-like.




2 comments:

  1. Bunny, thanks so much for the prompt review! :)
    Aw, I'm really disappointed that it didn't work as well as expected. I have long hair (very thin and light though) as well, and I hate the feeling of greasiness, so I'll pass on this cream :( I will definitely give the John Frieda Mousse a try! Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the review, i was thinking of getting the full thickening cream, i have shorter and thinner hair so maybe it'll be different on me... will let you know tho =]

    ReplyDelete